I read with interest a recent blog posting by Chris Holmes on Opening Esri and can see similar ideas in many current enhancement requests.
On OGC support I would like to see Esri:
- publish public test URLs for each OGC web service supported by ArcGIS
- make ArcMap an effective WFS Client that can consume WFS-T withWFS v2 support also added
- make ArcMap a Web Processing Services (WPS) client
- have KML/KMZ recognized by ArcMap’s Catalog Window (& ArcCatalog) as file types
- provide support for KML Services in ArcMap
- add KML as a standard layer type (like has been done for CAD)
And while we are talking web services, the Connection to ArcGIS Online should be on-demand to stop the Find tool opening so slowly so often.
It would also be great to have some public domain and open source options for personal geodatabases like SQLite/SpatiaLite and PostgreSQL/PostGIS and it was heartening to see the former demonstrated at the Dev Summit.
If you are keen to see any/all of the above implemented, then I encourage you to follow the links to find corresponding ArcGIS Ideas awaiting your vote.